How the Target Group Parents Lives and Loves their Uniqueness
Every family is original
In modern society, a clear trend of individualism can be observed in the target group of parents. The "one" family no longer exists; everyone goes their own way, at their own pace.
Young mothers and fathers are increasingly recognizing that self-realization and personal development play an important role in parenthood. They strive to cultivate their own interests, hobbies and careers in order to live a fulfilling and authentic life as a family.
At the same time, it allows them to be dedicated and loving parents, who respond to their children's needs on a very individual basis and encourage them to develop on their own. Thus, nowadays every family has its own principles, the one and right parenting style no longer exists.
Individualism instead of uniformity is the motto of the modern target group of parents.
Children and career? They are no longer mutually exclusive. For many modern parents, the balancing act is a matter of course. (Image: Orbon Alija, Getty Images)
Individual parenting – but how?
How individualism manifests itself in today's target group of parents? The signs are diverse:
• Parenthood as partnership: In contrast to previous generations, modern parents place great value on equality in parenthood. They share responsibilities and decisions with their partners to create space for their individual wishes and goals.
• Work-life balance: A work-life balance to meet both their career goals and their family commitments plays a central role for modern parents. They rely on flexible working models to free up time for their family and pursue their individual interests. This enables them to achieve both professional success and fulfilling parenthood.
• Commitment to one's own values and interests: Today's generation of parents holds fast to its values, for example, placing great value on social and environmental issues. For example, parents seek to raise socially conscious children who are aware of global challenges and promote empathy, inclusivity and sustainability. They often consciously choose products, brands and activities that align with their values.
• Individualized approaches to child education: Every child is unique and has individual needs. Modern parents know this and prefer personalized approaches to educating children that are tailored to their child's interests, talents and areas of development. By supporting their children in their individuality, they foster their self-confidence and independence.
• The power of technology: From online parenting forums and apps for organizing family life to digital educational resources, technology gives parents access to a wealth of information and helps them balance individuality and parenthood.
This is how the industry responds to the demands of the target group parents
Parenthood has changed – and so have the needs and expectations of modern parents. Therefore, it is only natural that they express their personality and uniqueness also in the equipment for their little ones. The industry is increasingly recognizing this and is responding accordingly.
Manufacturers are offering more and more personalizable options that give parents the opportunity to customize products according to their wishes. From strollers with individual color and pattern combinations to customized diaper bags with names or initials – the choice is greater than ever before.
Products can now also be adapted to the diverse lifestyles of parents, as versatile and changeable designs are developed: Cribs that grow with the child for a sustainable lifestyle and off-road accessories for strollers for particularly active families are just two examples among many.
In addition, the digitality and affinity for technology of today's target group of parents is motivating companies to develop their products. Whether high-tech surveillance monitors or smart breast pumps with their own app – technological progress is becoming increasingly easy to integrate into family life, and families are showing a great deal of interest and curiosity about it.
From organic cotton textiles to plastic alternatives and sustainable wooden furniture, the desire for sustainability is growing and companies are responding more and more to create as many options as possible for environmentally conscious parents. This trend is allowing parents to express their individual values in their choice of equipment as well.
How consistent is individualism in the end?
Acting self-determined, preserving one's own identity and at the same time being there for the children – that sounds pretty good, but it's time for a reality check. Because not all of today's parents pursue individualism equally or set the same priorities. Sure, there are parents who pursue their career goals and interests and insist on their alternative lifestyle. However, there are also parents who put their own interests very much in the background for their children.
Parenting is complicated. No matter how diverse the selection of babies' and children's outfits, their personality and uniqueness can be reflected. When the kids prefer to play with the "fast" plastic toy rather than the sustainable alternative, one or the other parent sometimes buckles for a moment and throws their principles overboard for the sake of the children's sparkling eyes.